Good Afternoon Lovelies!
Fall time can be a tough time for all of us creatures and we need to remember to SELF-CARE. We are getting less daylight, less sunlight and colder temperatures. This will affect our sleep, energy levels and moods. These are all things that help us maintain mental stability.
The reason we find it harder to stay motivated and get a restful sleep is because the level of vitamins we have been receiving from the sun decrease. One of these vitamins is called Vitamin D which our body gets from the sun rays through our skin. This vitamin is important to our brain function. Therefore, when we don’t get enough we become unmotivated, fatigued and/or depressed. Self-Care Tips:
- Get outside for 20 minutes a day rain, snow or shine
- Try my go to method which is a tanning bed (Please consult with your doctor first)
Do you feel more fatigued or sleepy during the Fall/Winter? I do too! This is due to an increase in Melatonin in our brains. Since there is a decrease in light exposure during these seasons our brains automatically create more Melatonin. Self-Care Tips:
- Keep the same sleep schedule as before even though you are more tired
- Get outside for at least 20 minutes a day because outdoor light is much more effective on the mind then indoor lighting. This will help to promote wakefulness
- Dim the lights and avoid screen time for 30 minutes before bed.
Remember that these things are not always easy but so important for your self care.
It is starting to get cold outside and we may feel more fatigued then usual, that doesn’t mean we can give up our physical exercise. Even though some our outdoor exercise routine will be no more, doesn’t mean you have to give up. Self-Care Tips:
- Brain storm fun ways to exercise during the Fall/Winter season.
- You could also try to find an exercise buddy that will help keep you motivated.
- My biggest piece of advice is to find something you really enjoy. I really enjoy hot yoga but that isn’t for everyone so please find your favourite way to exercise during the cold months.
Since we know that it is coming to the time of year when the battle against depression becomes tougher, the fatigue starts to take over and we just feel just blah. It is important to take care of ourselves and maintain our mental stability. SELF-CARE is one of my favourite coping skills I have picked up throughout my journey. Self-Care is defined as choosing behaviours that balance the effects of emotional and physical stressors. It is important to learn what YOU NEED physically or mentally to find balance. This means doing something for yourself and only yourself. You want to do something that makes you feel content in life. It can be as big or as little a task as you see fit. I wish all you lovely creature a HAPPY FALL SEASON! I am sending you all positive vibes that I hope will help you stay motivated and strong for the coming months <3 Here is a list of Self-Care activities you could try this Fall/Winter season:
- Drink a cup of hot chocolate mindfully
- Do a face mask
- Cuddle up on the couch and enjoy your favourite show
- Take time to indulge in your favourite food
- Book a spa day https://www.angeliccomplexion.com/
- Don’t go to the party if you don’t want to
- Meditate http://www.delasolyoga.com/pages/HamiltonWorkshops
- Try a float tank https://www.zeefloat.com/
- Have dinner with a friend
- Go for a fall walk
- A bath and a glass of wine
- OR ANYTHING YOU FEEL YOUR MIND/BODY NEEDS RIGHT NOW!
Thank you so much to all you lovely creatures for taking the time to read and follow my blog. I am hoping to create a better understanding about life with a mental illness. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to comment. Start a conversation. #positivevibes
– Sarah Bethune the Polar Bear